Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hej from Stockholm

As soon as you arrive in Stockholm you know these are cool people by the duty free! Marimekko anyone? Unfortunately too hard to pack in the suitcase, and I couldn't pick between the green and the yellow below! Its been a year now since my last visit to the Nordic country and I was lucky enough to have a second visit, which proved yes it is a an elegant and beautiful place. A city full of heritage buildings, Viking cobblestone trails, wide tree lined streets, very cool bicyles, sunshine and parks all set around water.







































Its Summer in Stockholm and lunchtime saw the parks full of sunbakers and picnicing as the locals take in as much sun as it lasts.





































I visited the Saluhall below, a beautiful market full of fresh fruit and veg, amazing gourmet cheeses and the largest Salmon ive ever seen! I was talking to a Swedish 'chap' later who told me that you can catch Salmon around 12 kilos each! directly off the waters edge in town. Below is the fabulous lunch I had at Tysta Mari of smoked salmon, dill & white asparagus on toast, which I didnt realise was around $25AUD until later! That same chap also told me it is the most expensive market in Stockholm, and chefs go there to source the finest ingredients and he only goes there if he is having a special dinner party and wants to impress! Woops..











You can walk around Stockholm for days - unfortunately I only had one day and I visited many stores, alot which showcase the stunning Swedish, Danish and Finnish design, an ode to George Jensen, Marimekko, iittalia, Design House Stockholm and many more. But my favourite store is the super elegant NK, it was as lovely as before in amoungst the ciaos of sale mode everywhere else. I would love to have an AURA concept store at NK one day! Some shots of the fantastic window displays at NK the colours of the specially made glasswear was amazing! Check out NK's website for more pictures and information.











































































Above is looking down through NK - stunning, and below the busy Pedestrian street, Drottninggatan, where you can find all of the chain stores including Swedens favourite H&M, Zara, Allens, Topmart, Nike, just to name a few.


What would a post on Stockholm be without a shot of bikes! Notice the Design House Stockholm cool emerald green bike basket - id like one of these - also available in black if anyone is interested :)



More duty free! No I cant fit it in the bag - but I love it! Enough Salmon eaten, enough beautiful tall tanned blonds, so long Stockholm "London's calling!"


No comments:

Post a Comment